Share this release
WABC-TV to Produce ‘Retail Rescue: Deals & Steals’ Special to Support Small Businesses Across Eight Major U.S. Markets
‘Retail Rescue’ Special Will Air Across All ABC Owned Television Stations, ABC News Live and Stream Live on All the Stations’ Connected TV Apps,
Beginning Saturday, Sept. 12 Through Sunday, Sept. 13
Viewers Can Shop Exclusive Deals From Featured Businesses at ShopRetailRescue.com
WABC-TV, an ABC Owned Television Station and New York’s No. 1 station, produces another “Retail Rescue: Deals & Steals,” half-hour special focused on supporting small businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The special will first premiere on KFSN-TV Fresno, SATURDAY, SEPT. 12 (8:30 p.m. PDT), followed by additional broadcast dates and times on ABC Owned Television Stations. ABC News Live will also feature the special on Sunday, Sept. 13 (6:30 p.m. EDT and rebroadcast at 8:00 p.m. EDT). Co-hosted by Tory Johnson of “GMA Deals & Steals” alongside Eyewitness News’ Sam Champion, this is the second special in a series that follows the top-rated program’s premiere in May 2020, where the initial focus was on businesses impacted in the tri-state region.
The upcoming special will expand to feature 27 small businesses located in the communities across the eight DMA markets that make up ABC Owned Television Stations. The special will air in those respective markets on the stations’ linear broadcast and on Localish’s linear network, spanning across nearly 1,600 communities. The stations include WABC-TV New York, KABC-TV Los Angeles, WLS-TV Chicago, WPVI-TV Philadelphia, KGO-TV San Francisco, KTRK-TV Houston, WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham, KFSN-TV Fresno and on the Localish network.
With the ongoing COVID-19 crisis has taken a significant toll on small businesses nationwide, “Retail Rescue” reflects the station group’s ongoing commitment to support small businesses and protect jobs during this unprecedented global health and economic crisis. The decision to feature small businesses across all of the stations’ linear platforms gives these companies national brand exposure with the potential viewership of 17 million, and an additional 17 million viewers when it airs on the Localish network in the eight DMAs.
The special will highlight popular product categories including loungewear and face masks; beauty, skincare and haircare; food and wine accessories; kitchen and home, with “Oprah Favorites”; and even “Shark Tank” winners. Viewers will be able to shop featured products at an exclusive, limited-time discounted rate of at least 50%, made available for 24 hours after the airing of the special at ShopRetailRescue.com.
Some of the featured businesses on “Retail Rescue” are the following:
- Mented Cosmetics, a Black-owned beauty brand started by business school best friends in their Harlem apartments with beloved lipstick, gloss shades and makeup that celebrate all skin tones
- Brouk & Co., Los Angeles-based makers of premium duffle bags and weekenders that have seen sales plummet as travel has plunged amid the pandemic.
- Avocurl, creators of deep conditioning hair treatments, based in San Francisco, that has experienced supply chain challenges created by the COVID crisis.
- Ullo, a popular wine purifier and aerator invented in Chicago
- True Gold Honey, family-owned Fresno, California, beekeepers who produce award-winning pure raw honey
- Southern Elegance Candle Company, a handcrafted soy candle company, forced to temporarily close its Raeford, North Carolina, retail store, resulting in staff reduction and slow production due to the pandemic restrictions.
- SW&G Essentials, a skincare line, whose Houston-based founder was named “Shark Tank”’s most memorable female entrepreneur, is dealing with a significant retail slowdown due to the pandemic while caring for her ailing veteran father who contracted the disease.
- Side Project Jerky, a premium beef jerky in Philadelphia became a full-time focus to manufacture and market when the owner lost his job at the start of the shutdown.
Viewers can view the linear broadcast in each market’s respective owned station and shop the full list of featured products online, ShopRetailRescue.com. The special will also air on the Localish network (check local listings for airdate information).
|ABC30/KFSN-TV||Sat||9/12||8:30 p.m. PDT|
|ABC7/KGO-TV||Sat||9/12||9:30 p.m. PDT|
|ABC7/KABC-TV||Sat||9/12||10:00 p.m. PDT|
|ABC11/WTVD-TV||Sun||9/13||1:30 p.m. EDT|
|6ABC/WPVI-TV||Sun||9/13||5:00 p.m. EDT|
|ABC7/WABC-TV||Sun||9/13||5:30 p.m. EDT|
|ABC13/KTRK-TV||Sun||9/13||4:30 p.m. CDT|
|ABC7/WLS-TV||Sun||9/13||4:30 p.m. CDT|
WABC-TV has been the leader in local news and entertainment programming in the New York City area for more than 60 years. Producing more than 45 hours of live, local news and weather each week, Channel 7 “Eyewitness News” is the most watched local news in New York and the United States. WABC-TV also produces “Live with Kelly and Ryan,” weekdays at 9:00 a.m., which is seen in more than 200 markets across the U.S. Quality news and programming, cutting-edge technology and ongoing community outreach are the hallmarks of excellence that have consistently kept WABC-TV New York’s No. 1 station and the most-watched television station in the nation.
About ABC Owned Television Stations
ABC Owned Television Stations (OTV) is the multiplatform leader in local news and information, collectively No. 1 across all U.S. television and reaching 23% of households through its eight stations: WABC-TV New York, KABC-TV Los Angeles, WLS-TV Chicago, WPVI-TV Philadelphia, KGO-TV San Francisco, KTRK-TV Houston, WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham and KFSN-TV Fresno. OTV also delivers locally sourced storytelling to more than 14 million viewers across America through its digital-first national lifestyle brand and broadcast channel, Localish. Named the 2019 Broadcasting & Cable’s Multiplatform Broadcaster of the Year, OTV continues to set the industry standard for next-generation storytelling, deep community connections and a progressive commitment to solutions-based journalism.
Elita Fielder Adjei
VP, Corporate Communications, Walt Disney Television