No contacts found
Share this release
ABC Owned Television Stations’ Localish Supports Local Communities During Coronavirus Outbreak With Special Coverage Series ‘Check In’
Half-Hour Linear Broadcast Premiere Rated No. 1 in All Key Demos in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Houston
Building on its most popular show, “More In Common,” which debuted in 2018, Localish introduces a special coverage series “Check In” that focuses on profiling individuals who are stepping up to serve their communities and inspiring others to do the same. Grounded in its mission to bring out the good in cities across America, Localish checks in with remarkable leaders and innovators at hospitals, schools and local businesses transforming their services to combat the spread of the virus and support their neighbors. Each episode features incredible stories of resilience, with individuals fostering unique solutions to build even stronger bonds during a time of social distancing. Given the unconventional circumstances, the show is now being produced remotely featuring interviews via webcams and utilizing more audience-submitted content.
“As we face this challenge collectively, communities are adapting in real time,” said Michael Koenigs, executive producer, Localish. “There’s never been a more important time to remind our communities that we’re connected and that we’re all in this together. By sharing stories of individuals who are stepping up to serve their communities, we have the opportunity to highlight the heroes among us and inspire more to do the same.”
Localish’s “Check in” deepens ABC OTV’s focus on multiplatform engagement by premiering as a short-form online series in partnership Facebook Watch, streaming on Localish’s digital owned platform Localish.com and on ABC OTV’s connected tv apps, and broadcasting as a half-hour linear program on OTV’s Localish Network. Since “Check In” debuted on Facebook Watch on March 25, its show clips have garnered over 5.7 million views and attributed to a 5000% lift in “More In Common” brand engagement. “Check In” premiered on broadcast on Sunday, April 5, on WLS-TV Chicago, WPVI-TV Philadelphia, KGO-TV San Francisco and KTRK-TV Houston; on Saturday, April 11, on WABC-TV New York; and on Sunday, April 12, on KABC-TV Los Angeles, reaching No. 1 in key target demographics.
“As the world is experiencing an unprecedented crisis that has irrevocably changed the lives of millions, the need for positivity and hope is even more pronounced,” said Jennifer Mitchell, senior vice president of Content Development for ABC Owned Television Stations. “We’re heartened that Localish’s unique style of positive community-driven storytelling has been so well received, as the premiere of the special coverage series ‘Check In’ ranked No. 1 in its time slot and across all key demographics in the four markets where it aired.”
“Check In” will continue to air in linear broadcast in select cities on ABC (weekends, check local listings for airdate information). “Check In” will release new episodes weekly in partnership with Facebook Watch, posting on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 6 p.m. ET.
Episodes include the following:
- Episode 1 – Distanced but not Distant: As communities grapple with the impact and reality of —social distancing a landlord offers free rent to his tenants, and a woman finds creative ways to show family love. (Click here to view)
- Episode 2 – Helping Small Businesses: With a national shortage of medical and cleaning supplies, a locally owned distillery has switched its production to now make hand soap and sanitizers. Plus, local artisans are now making face masks. (Click here to view)
- Episode 3 – Food & Drink at home: From ordering margaritas from the best local bars delivered right to your door to getting groceries delivered and home schooling, communities are getting creative with finding a new normal in these unusual times. (Click here to view)
- Episode 4 – Staying Calm during Coronavirus: Check in with health care workers on the front lines of the response efforts, get tips on how to unwind and learn meditation to stay calm. (Click here to view)
- Episode 5 – Helping the Homeless: As unemployment and homeless numbers continue to rise, there are generous individuals helping the homeless and sharing what they can from food and supplies to reassuring words and friendly smiles. (Click here to view)
- Episode 6 – Love & Marriage: As relationships are tested during the quarantine, check in with these couples who are not only making the best of the situation but even thriving, proving that love always finds a way through adversity. (Click here to view)
- Episode 7 – Pregnancy, Birth & Babies: Check in with expectant parents, who are both excited and nervous to welcome their newborns into this world, and the medical caregivers who are comforting and easing couples as they prepare to expand their family. (Episode will be available soon)
More information on the remaining online and linear episodes will follow at a later date.
Follow Localish (#Localish) on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. View additional Localish series at abc.com/shows/localish.
Follow “More In Common” and “Check In” on Facebook. View additional episodes at abc.com/shows/more-in-common.
About ABC Owned Television Stations
The ABC Owned Television Stations includes WABC-TV New York, KABC-TV Los Angeles, WLS-TV Chicago, WPVI-TV Philadelphia, KGO-TV San Francisco, KTRK-TV Houston, WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham and KFSN-TV Fresno. The eight owned stations reach 23% of all U.S. television households. The stations are consistently market leaders in multiplatform local news, collectively No. 1 in local news among Adults 25-54 for 11 consecutive broadcast seasons, and in overall digital audience, video consumption and social reach and engagement. In 2018, the Stations further expanded their content portfolio and reach with the launch of the digital-first national lifestyle brand Localish that in its first year produced over 650 pieces of digital video content, totaling more than 240 million video views. The Live Well broadcast channel was rebranded as Localish in February 2020, delivering locally sourced yet nationally relevant storytelling as long-form linear programming to more than 14 million viewers across America.
Localish, a digital native lifestyle brand from ABC Owned Television Stations featuring locally sourced yet nationally relevant stories which target a younger audience, debuted its broadcast home on Feb. 17, 2020. In Localish’s first year, ABC’s owned stations produced over 700 pieces of digital video, totaling more than 240 million video views, with 65% of its audience under the age of 44. Most recently honored with the 2019 Innovator Award – the highest distinction among TVNewsCheck’s annual Social Media Excellence Awards – Localish was credited for its forward-minded ideas, sleek execution and all-around positive impact. As a broadcast network, Localish expanded its short-form series of local storytelling into long-form programming to reach approximately 14 million households across America. The brand also continues to debut stories on localish.com, ABC digital platforms and social media platforms, as it transcends city limits and inspires its audience to live like a local wherever they are.