Share this release
ABC Owned Television Stations Spread the Gift of Giving Across the Country as Part of Disney’s ‘Feed the Love’ Holiday Campaign
The Eight Owned Stations Unite on Tuesday, Dec. 1, in a ‘National Day of Giving,’ Supporting Nonprofits Feeding America, Toys for Tots, and One Simple Wish
In the spirit of service to its communities and as part of Disney’s “Feed the Love” holiday campaign, ABC Owned Television Stations designate Tuesday, Dec. 1, as “National Day of Giving” to amplify its participation in a give-back promotion to benefit the almost 1,600 communities they serve daily. The holiday campaign focuses on how individuals can bring joy and comfort to disadvantaged children and families in partnership with Feeding America, Toys for Tots and One Simple Wish. The eight owned stations work with numerous local nonprofit organizations in their respective communities throughout the year; however, the goal of uniting in a day of solidarity is to amplify their giving spirit to improve the lives of others, and inspire and raise awareness of the importance to donate to those in need during the holiday season.
Disney and Feeding America have teamed up to inspire healthier generations by expanding access to fresh produce and nutritious foods in communities where kids and families need it most. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, unemployment has soared, and food insecurity is on the rise. Feeding America estimates that more than 50 million people, including 17 million children, may face food insecurities.
- ABC7/WABC-TV New York is promoting local food bank drives at the Bronx Community College’s Food Pantry, Food Bank For New York City, Long Island Cares, Community Food Bank of New Jersey and City Harvest. The most-watched station in the country plans to air content across its linear and digital platforms raising awareness of food insecurities and educating viewers on how they can donate to local food banks.
- ABC7/KABC-TV Los Angeles is presenting a check donation to FOOD Share of Ventura County, a Feeding America member food bank.
- ABC7/WLS-TV Chicago will be presenting check donations to the following Feeding America member food banks: Greater Chicago Food Depository, Northern Illinois Food Bank and Food Bank of Northwest Indiana. Additionally, WLS kicks off their virtual food drive on Giving Tuesday with donations allocated to these three local food banks, with plans to continue the food drive through the end of the year. WLS plans to air and post content about food insecurities across its linear and digital platforms, raising awareness about food insecurities and the need to support local food banks. A dedicated web page will house all content and provide resources to viewers who need assistance, wish to donate or are interested in volunteer opportunities.
- 6abc/WPVI-TV Philadelphia is hosting its 35th Annual 6abc Dunkin’ Connect Share Give Holiday Food Drive from Nov. 21 thru the end of the year. 6abc will host a virtual telethon on Giving Tuesday during its afternoon and evening newscasts, and on its Facebook and digital platforms. Viewers will be able to donate via text, website or phone bank. The station will virtually present a check to Feeding America grant recipient Philabundance. Other local food banks receiving donations include The Food Bank of South Jersey, The Community Foodbank of New Jersey, the Food Bank of Delaware, The Second Harvest Food Bank of the Lehigh Valley and Northeast Pennsylvania and Helping Harvest.
- ABC7/KGO-TV San Francisco is spotlighting Feeding America member food banks that received a grant by The Walt Disney Company: San Francisco and Marin Food Bank, Alameda County Community Food Bank, Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano, Redwood Empire Food Bank and Second Harvest of Silicon Valley. Additionally, KGO-TV will broadcast “Day of Giving” content across its linear and digital platforms, highlighting guests from local community organizations such as Ayudando Latinos A Sonar (ALAS) and LifeLong Medical Care.
- ABC13/KTRK-TV Houston is amplifying a food drive where viewers can donate food at one of eight drop-off locations throughout greater Houston, in addition to making monetary donations via the ABC13.com or by texting ABC13 to 41444. ABC13 is presenting a check to its Feeding America grant recipient, the Houston Food Bank, during its live broadcast from 9:00-10:00 a.m. CST. At the end of the week, ABC13 is hosting its 40th anniversary of “ABC13 Share Your Holidays Food Drive,” benefitting the Houston Food Bank on Friday, Dec. 4.
Toys for Tots
Disney has proudly supported the United States Marine Corps Reserve’s Toys for Tots Foundation for over 70 years, dating back to 1947 when Walt Disney and his animators designed the original Toys for Tots train logo that is still used today. Disney is pleased to continue this tradition and “Feed the Love” with Marine Toys for Tots. Additionally, shopDisney.com has teamed up with Toys for Tots (toysfortots.org) for the third year in a row to help bring joy to children in underserved communities this holiday season.
- ABC7/WABC-TV New York plans to raise awareness about Toys for Tots on its digital platforms, encouraging viewers to donate to the organization.
- ABC7/KABC-TV Los Angeles, Southern California’s most-watched station, is donating 1,000 toys provided by shopDisney.com to the Antelope Valley Toys for Tots.
- 6abc/WPVI-TV Philadelphia plans to donate 1,000 toys provided by shopDisney.com to the Philadelphia Toys for Tots chapter. The No. 1 Philadelphia station also plans to produce linear and digital content encouraging viewers to visit shopDisney.com/ToysForTots to purchase and donate a toy online prior to Dec. 13, and Disney will donate an additional $1 to Toys for Tots for each toy purchased.
- ABC7/KGO-TV San Francisco is raising awareness of the local Toys for Tots toy drive and will donate 1,000 toys from shopDisney.com to the local San Bruno Chapter.
- ABC13/KTRK-TV Houston is encouraging viewers to inspire hope and comfort by donating new unwrapped toys to Toys for Tots at the Disney Store located in The Houston Galleria, Houston Premium Outlets, Houston Tanger Outlets, Memorial City Mall and Willowbrook Mall. ABC13 will also donate 1,000 toys provided by shopDisney.com to Houston’s Toys for Tots and provide broadcast and digital storytelling in support of this year’s toy drive.
- ABC11/WTVD-TV Raleigh Durham is presenting a check to the local Marine Toys for Tots during its afternoon newscast. Additionally, the station is raising awareness across its linear and digital platforms of how viewers can donate online to Toys for Tots or how to donate new, unwrapped toys at local Disney Stores and the local Toys for Tots distribution center.
- ABC30/KFSN-TV Fresno will promote the local Toys for Tots toy drive throughout its newscast and will be on-site at a local Disney Store to explain to viewers how they can donate to Toys for Tots at a Disney store or through shopDisney.com/ToysForTots. At the end of the week, ABC30’s president and general manager Michael Carr will present a check on behalf of the station and The Walt Disney Company to the Madera/Fresno Toys for Tots, and will donate 1,000 toys provided by shopDisney.com.
One Simple Wish
One Simple Wish brings national attention to the foster care system. Since 2008 they’ve supported over 35,000 children across the United States through their innovative programs; providing critical support to those in need, including thousands of laptops and tablets to assist with remote learning and immediate access to essentials like groceries, transportation and personal care products.
- ABC7/WABC-TV New York has partnered with One Simple Wish to elevate local nonprofits in the tristate area who are helping foster kids. WABC anchor Sade Baderinwa worked with One Simple Wish’s local nonprofit community partner City Living to raise over $10,000 for 100 former foster kids, who aged out of foster care and are now young adults feeling isolated without family and friends.
- ABC7/WLS-TV Chicago is promoting a local One Simple Wish organization, JCFS Chicago, across its linear and digital platforms, educating viewers on how they can donate to the social service agency that provides critical services to enhance social-emotional well-being for adults, children, teens and families in the Chicago area.
- ABC13/KTRK-TV Houston is continuing its commitment to foster children in southeast Texas by encouraging viewers to grant holiday wishes this year through One Simple Wish. The station will provide storytelling on Eyewitness News and across ABC13’s digital platforms, showing viewers how they can bring comfort to children in foster care this holiday season.
About ABC Owned Television Stations
Walt Disney Television’s eight owned ABC stations are multiplatform leaders in local news and information. Collectively No. 1 across all U.S. television, reaching 23% of households and more than 34 million Total Viewers and 62 million digital visitors a month, the eight stations are comprised of WABC-TV New York, KABC-TV Los Angeles, WLS-TV Chicago, WPVI-TV Philadelphia, KGO-TV San Francisco, KTRK-TV Houston, WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham and KFSN-TV Fresno. The stations also deliver locally sourced storytelling to more than 14 million viewers across America through its digital-first national lifestyle brand and broadcast channel, Localish. Most recently, the stations received four Broadcast & Cable awards in the major market category for 2020: Best News Coverage, Best Digital Multiplatform or Website, Best Investigative Reporting Station Group and Best Public Affairs Programming, illustrating the group’s strength and ever-increasing growth and reach in the multiplatform space.
ABC Owned Television Stations
Elita Fielder Adjei
Director of Communications & Publicity