Share this release
ABC Owned Television Stations Documentary ‘Our America: Mental State’ to Premiere on Hulu Friday, May 26, and Will Air Across the Eight ABC Owned Television Stations Beginning May 27
Trailer Debuts Today, May 23
View the ‘Our America: Mental State’ Trailer Here
ABC Owned Television Stations presents the original documentary “Our America: Mental State.” The one-hour documentary further continues the story from ABC30/KFSN’s award-winning five-part documentary series “A Critical State of Mind: A Look into California’s Mental Health,” examining the state of mental health in America, looking inside the lives of those who suffer, the stigma associated with mental illness, organizations making a difference, and those standing up to give hope.
The documentary explores five key areas:
- The state of mental health in America — One in five adults in the United States is diagnosed with a mental disorder every year, with one in 10 children facing serious emotional disturbance. Despite cries for help and a pandemic that has brought to light these struggles, there are not enough mental health providers to help those in need and an insurance system that’s too complicated to navigate. How did we get here, and what needs to change?
- Stigma — A look at the issues stigma creates and how we can break free of the misconceptions of mental illness.
- Speaking up — Would you be able to recognize someone struggling with mental health? The mother of a high school football star who died by suicide is speaking up and using her trauma to help others.
- Built from the ground up — A lack of mental health providers for children and adults can have dire consequences later in life. Experts agree that early prevention is crucial in staving off future issues. Meet the people building access to care for everyone from the ground up.
- Change — Experts agree that early prevention can tremendously help anyone going through a mental health crisis. Dr. Felipe Mercado, an advocate and former drug addict, knew his life could have been different had someone intervened when he was younger. Hear his story and how he is determined to make a change by training the next generation of mental health experts.
The ABC Owned Television Stations, which collectively reach 23% of households across all U.S. television, have made a commitment to producing high-impact content representing various voices within communities and newsrooms across the country. “Our America: Mental State” will aim to inform and support those suffering from and affected by mental illness.
“Our America: Mental State” will be available on Hulu beginning Friday, May 26, and will air as follows across the eight ABC Owned Television Stations and on ABC’s award-winning Localish Network:
Saturday, May 27
ABC7/WABC-TV New York at 1:00 p.m. EDT
6abc/WPVI-TV Philadelphia at 2:00 p.m. EDT
ABC11/WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham at 2:00 p.m. EDT
Sunday, May 28
ABC13/KTRK-TV Houston at 12:30 a.m. CDT
ABC7/KGO-TV San Francisco at 10:00 p.m. PDT
ABC7/KABC-TV Los Angeles at 11:30 a.m. PDT
ABC7/WLS-TV Chicago at 1:00 p.m. CDT
Monday, May 29
Localish Network at 8:00 p.m. EDT
Sunday June 4
ABC30/KFSN-TV Fresno at 10:30 p.m. PDT
Monday, June 5
ABC Localish at 8:00 p.m. EDT
About ABC Owned Television Stations
The eight owned ABC stations are multiplatform leaders in local news and information. Collectively No. 1 across all U.S. television, reaching 23% of households and more than 34 million Total Viewers and 62 million digital visitors a month, with a record of 2.2 billion minutes streamed, the eight stations are comprised of WABC-TV New York, KABC-TV Los Angeles, WLS-TV Chicago, WPVI-TV Philadelphia, KGO-TV San Francisco, KTRK-TV Houston, WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham and KFSN-TV Fresno. WABC-New York has remained the No. 1 station in the country for 19 years.
ABC Owned Television Stations Media Contact